Thursday, June 14, 2012

Walk Into My Parlour

I think my obsession began around the age of four.  I remember my mother had a book of poems and I would get it out daily and made her read me the same poem over and over.  It was Mary Howitt's "The Spider and the Fly".  The poem scared me but at the same time I loved it.  I was so frightful for the fly and I hated the spider.  Spiders have always petrified me.  I feel no remorse when I kill them and I believe I am getting justice for that poor fly.




Mary Howitt's face > creepy spiders
Through out my life it seems that the spider and myself go head to head.  I have many memorable experiences with spiders.  I remember the time I killed the biggest banana spider outside my home when i lived in Virginia beach.  It's web was beautiful but to me a good spider is a dead spider.


This shit is bananas B-A-N-A-N-A-S


I remember the unforgettable RV trip with my sister to the beach.  Outside of the RV there were hundreds of spiders.  and lets just say that my revenge could have been a scene from the Killing Fields.  Then there is the infamous Christmas tree.  That year we chopped down our own Christmas Tree.  It was such a nice tree until I discovered the next day it was infested with spiders.  That year we sung O' Spider Tree.


I research on the fear of spiders or "arachnophobia".  I found out that is the most common phobia. Some experts believe that it was a survival technique for our ancestors.  When looking at the properties of a phobia, I realized that I actually have more of an obession than a phobia.  Usually someone who has an arachnophobia can not kill the spider.  They are usually paralized in fear and some will leave there own homes because they saw a spider.  I do not have a problem killing a spider.






On the contrary I have found that there are people who love spiders, they are known as arachnophiles.  There are forums and blogs just for spider lovers.  But respecting the spider is not something new. In ancient Peru, the Moche people worshiped nature including Spiders.  In  ancient China, the Chinese called spiders "ximu",which means happy insects.  Spiders were believed to bring happiness in the morning and wealth in the evening. And then there is Cambodia, where fried tarantulas are a delicacy!

For more fun, you should search "Skuon"in google images
Spiders will always be on my mind.  I will never like the spider no matter how much scientists try to convince me that they are great for the environment.  And in case you were wondering, I am not going to be having any fried spiders soon either!



No comments:

Post a Comment