Monday, June 25, 2012

Judgement Day


Thanks for the omnioxious commercial that plays in my head over and over.
Peanut Butter Jelly Time:



 Maybe it is because all I watch on TV is usually a child friendly channel or maybe it is because my son jayson eats about 4 peanuts butter sandwiches a day. Jayson only eats about 10 foods. This is an improvement. The list used to only consist of four items. I am in big trouble if I run out of these staples. If I run out of peanut butter than Jayson will have a full meltdown.


Jayson has Sensory Integration Disorder. He is sensitive to food, noise and needs to touch everything.
With the help of occupational therapy and a "sensory diet", we have learned to help regulate Jayson. It works at times but other times it is too late than the meltdown begins.

When we go into a store and something sets him off we leave. But before getting to the door sometimes I get stares, comments, and looks of disgust. Please don't assume that a child is having a tantrum or is just a "brat". What autism has taught me is not to judge so quickly.




I don't just cater to his wants or spoil him. I try to accommodate so he will be able to function and learn. It's something his siblings have even learned.  But why are there people who automatically judge and tell others their opinions. This goes deeper than just parenting.  I have others judge me through the years thinking I am something I am not. I may not explain myself,  but that does not mean your opinions are right.  It may mean that I don't feel comfortable explaining.

A quick graphic on the difference between an Autism Meltdown and Tantrum, click here for a nice video on the topic.


I asked everyone to step back from a situation and do not easily judge.  If you see someone struggling, it maybe nice to ask if they need help.  That help could mean the world.  I had a dear friend, Claudia, who befriended me years ago.  She understood that there were circumstances that had me at the place I was.  She didn't judge me but loved me and supported me.  Unfortunately, my dear friend passed away this year. I regret that I never got to tell her how much I appreciated that. I miss her dearly and I strive to be a better person.

2 comments:

  1. Hi, I feel it would be easily to cast eye's upon a screaming child in the department store. But I wouldn't judge you or anyone else in this situation. The only that would be in my mind is the child didn't get what he wanted.

    We really don't know what it would be like to have a child with this disability.

    Pa Pa and I would like to have JJ come and stay with us overnight and try this out. Half of the time I don't sleep properly, so if JJ gets up it's not a issue.

    You and Chris deserve a good nights rest look and see when you will have a empty house with just JJ and we will take care of him, preferably on a Saturday night. This can be your respite. Please take us up on this idea! Love you, Sue

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well said! I get the same type of judgement with my S.M. child, but mostly from professionals who should know better!
    Teacher Mom of 3

    ReplyDelete